Enemies of Liberty are ruthless. To own your Liberty, you'd better come harder than your enemies..

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

CQB: Ma-ai


Ma ai is range, or distance, particularly in a combat setting.

One of the natural impulses of people just learning to fight at buckle-to-buckle distances is to create space between yourself and the enemy. The instinct is often correct. If a guy wants to kill me, I'd prefer he was in Ohio while I am at home.

But, alas, that isn't how it usually plays out.

In CQB situations there are times you want distance from your enemy and other times you want to get very close. The middle ground, where you can be hit while he/she is flat footed is very dangerous if you are otherwise out-matched.

For instance, if he has a knife (or she has a frying pan or Louisville Slugger) you will want to be sure to remain out of range of the weapon, until the moment you decide to engage. The distance between you is often called "the Gap" and when you choose to get close, it is "Closing the Gap".

I am smaller than most men, and lighter. I never broke 130# until I was 35 years old. Perhaps you can understand why I was eager to master the mechanics of range ASAP. Even today I do not want a big, strong guy to be close enough to hit me while he's flat-footed. Thank you, I'll hang out a bit further.

(Hard to believe, I know, given my sweet and diplomatic disposition, but I actually inspire the urge in many people to take a swing at me. It's a gift. ;)

When you decide to keep the gap between you and your enemy (or enemies) you must be quick, you may feel foolish at first if you have to run, duck, twist, jump suddenly, or put a tree between he and thee. Get over it. Yes, you are going to get hit before this is over, but getting hit on your terms is always a better option.

If he is going to swing at me, either empty hands or with a weapon, I want him to have to commit to the attack. That means I want him to have to close the gap as he swings or tries to grab me, so that he builds momentum and is moving toward me. It is in his motion that I find my openings to either retreat further or counter-attack.

Once I have decided to get close, I will close the gap or I will give him an opening to sucker him close so he closes the gap. If I close the gap, it is usually by entering the dead space he creates when swinging or moving, (for instance, he swings a bat and misses, I enter immediately after the bat passes me, while he is still swinging, or I enter ahead of the bat's leading arc and I am suddenly at his wrists) or I take the initiative and drive a simple kick toward his knee. If he moves, I have closed the gap. If he doesn't move, I step hard into his knee and take it out at a 90 degree angle. Many fights are over at this point.

When closing the gap you will often choose to shoot into his personal space as he lunges at you. Deflect the arm or weapon coming your way, let it breeze by you as you slip just off the line of attack, and then get busy.

Once you have closed the gap, it is time to go to work. End it as fast as possible.

Sometimes you just can't get anything to end the fight. He may be much stronger, bigger, faster, younger, angry. So, hold on and hide using his body. Delivering a knock-out punch is almost impossible if the person you are trying to knock out is hiding under your own arm. You just can't get the leverage or momentum for a powerful blow. Yes, if you are clinging to your enemy he'll land some annoying blows. Suck it up, wait for your opening, then execute whatever technique is available. Pull his throat out. Turn his eyeballs to jelly. Grab his 'nads and twist with both hands. Work for a choke or armbar.

Do you drill on reaching and deploying your folder with one hand while training? Strong hand and off hand? What about your pistol, if you carry? How good are you at getting those two fight-enders into action while deflecting blows, dodging bats, or wrestling on the ground with someone who is bigger, stronger, faster?

Work on it. If you can't reach and deploy your folding knife while pinned on your back, then use it to kill your attacker even while he is trying to crush your face, you have work to do.

Then do it with two attackers. Anyone in a serious Aiki dojo trains to 11 attackers.

You must learn to get comfortable up close. That's where you'll kill him.

Never quit. The moment you quit, he wins. You die. Everything you were fighting to protect now lives according to his whims.

Never quit. Ever. Take him with you if you must, but do not let him live beyond this fight.

Kerodin
III

6 comments:

  1. This way if fighting works well. I know because I am a big guy who hates fighting shorter guys. I use this on ppl bigger then I also. When I was young and still able to fight I always picked the ones bigger then myself for this reason. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you shared that! Since most men are physically bigger than me I have found, especially when the fight goes to the ground, that I can crawl all over and around him while avoiding his power, hiding my head and vitals until I get a choke, a break, or deploy my blade to end it.

      Even with the rise of BJJ, most men simply are lost once the fight goes to the ground (and they ALL go to the ground!) So if you can learn to avoid his weight and use yours to advantage, even the biggest enemy is vulnerable.

      K

      Delete
  2. One of the things I've noticed about my fellow females is a squeamishness when it comes to inflicting pain. In Krav Maga class, that was the biggest thing most of us have to overcome; if you're not willing to inflict pain and serious damage, if not actual death, then you've lost the fight before it started. I know a lot of women that can't even go for the basic 'nad shot without apologizing profusely afterwards. Do you have any advice for this? I got over it fairly quickly (strong survival instinct), but I have friends that worry me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel: I'm really pleased you found Krav, feel free to share your experiences and take-aways for others. If you train hard it will serve you well if you ever need to fight, and it will actually help prevent many fights because you will exude a confidence that will make many predators pass you for easier prey.

      I wish I had an answer for you about how to overcome the innate female hesitance to break people. It is one of the fundamental differences between (most) men and women.

      I think as a nurturer, most women reflexively will subconsciously take a beating in the hopes she will survive (be spared) and remain able to look after her brood. I think it is a "hard-wired" thing, where the woman will do whatever it takes to ensure she lives for her children.

      Some women, I have found, take a different intellectual position and decide it is better to fight than submit. I don't know if a "passive" woman can ever snap out of her hesitancy without going through a life-threatening or life-altering (rape) experience.

      Obviously this is a much longer conversation with many variables, but boiled down, I think it is a matter of hard-wiring and some women will never close that gap. If you have such women in your Tribe, take the hard decision and be certain to put them in roles suited for their constitution - ie; medic versus shooter, et cetera.

      For someone like you who is willing to "go there" I can't stress enough - throw yourself into your training 100%, full speed when you are ready. Have a conversation with your teacher or trusted training partner, put on a helmet and pads if you want, and take a few real attacks. Get punched. Get your clock cleaned. Learn what it is to go through the emotional confusion that WILL come, the adrenaline dump, and all the other side-effects. Don't be surprised if genuine fear comes up and you run or go fetal - it happens to most people, even serious Warriors, the first few times. Better to get that out of the way while on the mat.

      Good for you for taking your survival into your own hands.

      K

      Delete
    2. Sam, I see it as nurture more than nature. I think women are raised with a certain set of beliefs and values in their expected roles in society. We're taught to be sweet, gentle, kind, and for a lot of girls, romantically dependent on men for their safety. I think you're onto something advocating training for kids (especially our daughters). The earlier we can teach girls that they aren't powerless, that it's not unfeminine to fight back, the easier it will be for them to break out of the nurture role when needed.

      Delete
  3. ....Hard to believe, I know, given my sweet and diplomatic disposition, but I actually inspire the urge in many people to take a swing at me. It's a gift. ;)....

    Sounds like me and you have the same gift and I'm thankful for it. I learned at a very young age that a bloody nose or black eye doesn't hurt for very long, so deal with it and get your work done. Quickly - TWO black eyes are a bitch.
    If you're in tight, I've found that ear-biting takes the fight out of somebody real quick, expecially if you're gouging eyeballs at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Please post anonymously. III Society members, please use your Call Sign.