Enemies of Liberty are ruthless. To own your Liberty, you'd better come harder than your enemies..

Thursday, August 2, 2012

III Arms: God's Pistol


John Moses Browning changed our world in ways that few men have ever achieved.

I chose the 1911 for reasons that are obvious to both gunners and Patriots - not only is the pistol worthy of the task of keeping you alive when in harm's way, it is a tool that at 101 years has few peers, and the 1911 evokes in many Americans a physical and emotional response. The pistol is History. The pistol is bold and powerful and strong, and in benevolent hands has the power to save lives and make Bad People dead.

And, I dare say, the 1911 is very American. It is a pistol that has earned the reverence of Patriots. It can evoke pride and patriotism.

Very few are the gunners in the world who do not give the 1911 respect, even if they are "Glock Guys" or "Ruger Guys".

In my research for supporting data I found a site that has many good articles about the 1911 - AnarchAngel. I've also added them to the blogroll below. According to the writer at AnarchAngel in this piece last year, about 150,000 1911's are produced every year in America - at age 101.

I have spec'd the prototypes we will have built. It will be a "semi-custom" pistol (I know, that phrase can be very misleading). I am going for a 1911 that is reliable enough to fire every time one pulls the trigger at that intersecting point where it is accurate enough to do headshots all day long at 50 yards. And finally, the damned thing must be handsome. I have it in my mind's eye, and I have it in an email ready to go to the first serious builder I will meet early next week. I'll send it to him in advance so he has a beginning reference point when we meet. He comes highly recommended by one of our own, and I hope that our goals will fit with this builder. We shall see, and I will report back. But I won't release the design specs just yet...



I do have a question, and I'd rather you answer here in comments than simply in a poll format: Do you like the finger-groove or not? If you've never shot with one, obviously your answer will be about aesthetics only. But if you have shot with a 1911 that has a finger-groove built in (or added by your grip selection) which is your preference?

Please explain either way.

Yours in Liberty,

Kerodin
III

15 comments:

  1. Sam,

    I've never much cared for the grooves myself. I have not yet found a grip with grooves on a custom 1911A or any other pistol, including custom grips on revolvers, that feels "right and natural" in my hand. Admittedly, my hands are larger than the norm for my height and weight, but the standard, smooth grip on a 1911 or a Glock or a Ruger Redhawk, etc. all fit me better.

    When you reload, operating the magazine release to drop a mag and to run a fresh one back up into the pistol, your hand shifts somewhat in how it grips. Yes, I know we try to keep as stable and steady a grip as possible, but the physics and ergonomics involved means there _is_ going to be some slight shifting. For me personally, that shift is smoother, and a return to the proper firing grip is easier, if there are no grooves.

    This won't be the case for everyone, but that's how it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never shot a 1911 =/ =(
    On my guns that do have grooved grips ( amd65) (magpug .357) I feel like my grip is a tighter fit, if that makes sense. Although it seems like the 1911 has endless custom grips, maybe we could offer both? or would that affect the frame of the grip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. K,

    No finger grip built in. Aftermarket grip manufacturers provide such grips along with color choices.

    DAN III
    "There Are Enemies Amongst Us"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never fired a weapon with the finger groove, but I can imagine pros and cons for it. The pros/cons (in my mind) are for the same reason... fit. I have short and stubby hands. If a finger groove were fitted specifically for me I could see how it would help me maintain control of the recoil. However, with my not-normal sized hands I think a "standard" finger groove would screw up my grip more than help it.
    I would vote no to a standard groove, at least for the initial run (maybe offer it as an option for later releases). My hands are going to have enough trouble getting used to the bigger grip and recoil on a 1911 as is. (I've mentioned in comments previously that the only reason I don't own a 1911 is because of the size).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer no groove. It just gets in the way on a combat piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not like the finger grove. I have found that they always comes in one-size-fits-none. Let people add aftermarket groves if they must have it. Many options are available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No finger grooves - it interfers with a quick draw from most holsters.
    One thing that I would recommend with a 1911 is to dovetail the front sight in instead of just staking it in. The staked ones have a tendency to shoot loose after about 10,000 rounds - my experience, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grooves on a grip are a bad idea from a pure gunhandling PoV (and from an aesthetic PoV, they look goofier than hell). I dremel the ones on my Glocks off, before I stipple the grips anyway, but I can't imagine a reason to need them on a 1911.
    ND,
    JM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not have a finger groove on mine when I bought it, but the hogue grip that is on my 1911 now has a mild finger groove. It doesnt bother me at all nor did it sway my decision when I purchased the hogue grip. In my opinion, I would say no to the finger groove. If someone likes a finger groove, they can get a hogue grip for their 1911.
    Israel
    III

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never shot a 1911 with finger grooves but have run other handguns with them. The never seem to line up with my hands. I have rather large meat hooks and the grooves force you into a grip that does not work for me. As others have said, there are enough aftermarket grips with groves to satisfy those who desire them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no finger grooves on my firearms on purpose. Front strap checkering is nice, but not finger grooves.

    Finger hook like the one in the pic means people can't put the super-cool-guy laser grips on their guns too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FWIW, I once tried a pistol with such a grip...couldn't consistently get a fast, solid draw with it - and what counts most on the street is how fast you can clear leather and engage. Speaking of clearing leather, there could be issues with some holsters if it has that much of a "ridge" in front of the front-strap, too - I think it would fit my Safariland SLS L-II Duty (#6285) and ALS Tactical (#6385) holsters, but proper grip for the draw might be compromised due to insufficient middle finger clearance between the ridge and the exterior of the holster...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lose the hook on the trigger guard - it affects how the gun fits in the holster.
    Same with finger groove - it won't fit everybody. Those who like it can buy grips that have it.
    My vote would be for a 1911A1 with ambi safety and better sights otherwise just like JMB meant it to be.
    _revjen45

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't care for the finger groove. I had one on a revolver once that worked well after quite a few hours of work and many trips to the range to test it but for a 1911 I prefer it with "regular" grips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Locating your property within walking distance of the shops will mean less driving.
    pistol accessories

    ReplyDelete

Please post anonymously. III Society members, please use your Call Sign.