Enemies of Liberty are ruthless. To own your Liberty, you'd better come harder than your enemies..

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hey, let's all bet our money and lives on something stupid!

In my CQB classes, and in my general training history, often a student will watch me demonstrate a technique and then during execution of that technique, change his mind and do something else.  Sometimes it is because he simply didn't get it the first time - no biggie, that's why it is training. 

Other times, however, a student will avoid the technique that was demonstrated and say something like this: "...but what if I do this?  Then you are in trouble..."

Any scientist will tell you that if you change the conditions of the experiment, you change the experiment.  If I tell a student to grab my wrist and he gets a glint in his eye and grabs my forearm or elbow instead, the technique I had in mind (a defense against a wrist attack) won't work. 

"...but what if I do this..." usually earns this response from me: "OK, try it..." and I slide into a defense that is appropriate for the new attack (forearm or elbow).  Because I won't strike my students in a CQB class (as I would in a real fight, and often in a proper dojo, and as ANY sensei in my life would have done in similar circumstances) the little experiment often looks clunky.  Sometimes we collapse in a heap, at which point grappling would begin.  Or I execute a defense suited for the attack, and the student understands that I asked for a wrist grab in the first place so I could properly demonstrate wrist grab defenses.

We have many people with many hypotheses about how Big Brother intends to impose his will.  Some are too large in scale to test, or require factors beyond our ability to control.

But some suggestions are suited for a scaled test.  Testing is good.  A man should know his limitations - and a man should put his money where his mouth takes him.

For instance - if you think 90% of NRA-type Americans, or "Southern Christians" will simply turn over their firearms by knocking on the door, flashing a badge or other form of ID - try it, see what happens.

This is an experiment where one can put his mouth and money in the same place.

Get a few big buddies and go to the Halloween shop and buy a few LEO outfits, buy a few Blackington Badges, or buy a few Jewish yarmulke and Torah, and knock on a few doors of people you think will surrender their 2A to such "authorities".

Let me know how that works out for you.

Don't bother...I'll read about it on Drudge.

There is always at least one guy who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.  See if he'll test his own hypothesis.

Kerodin
III

3 comments:

  1. I read that malarkey earlier.
    It's not even a decent mental exercise worth contemplating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. It's just monkey business.
    ;)
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I mentioned recently how much I like you and your wit?

      ;)

      K

      Delete

Please post anonymously. III Society members, please use your Call Sign.